everybody is someone else's weirdo.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Refused are fuckin' dead

"They told me that the classics never go out of style.. But they do. They do. So my baby, I never thought that we do too."

Hey guys, what's more awesome than the album that forever changed the face of punk rock and brought conviction and ethos back to the forefront of an otherwise increasingly apathetic following?

..The SAME ALBUM WITH TONS MORE SHIT, THAT'S WHAT! Duh.

That's right... June 8th, 2010, The Shape of Punk to Come is getting its very first deluxe treatment, complete with the original album, a previously unreleased live album (could it be The Show..???), AND a full DVD documentary paralleling one of the most bittersweet breakups in punk rock history.

WE WANT THE AIRWAVES BACK.



I'll now take this little bit of space to offer my mini-review, in case any of you don't quite understand how I feel about this album. Musically, this is NOT an album that can be described accurately with the usual 3 or 4 powerchords that characterize punk. In fact, what they were doing might have been more likely viewed as metal at the time, on account of the unbridled raw energy and "prog-as-fuck" musicianship that was basically unheard of in punk at that point. Don't get me wrong, the energy was always there with punk from the start... But this album was fucking FEARLESS. From front to back, it reads like the "Anarchist Manifesto" that nobody ever wrote. Quotable at worst and revolutionary/inspirational at best, this hot steaming piece of art has (at many a point in my life) reminded me of the things that are truly important to me, and reinforced values that are sometimes difficult to uphold in a world that just wants to see you blend in and sheep along. Click here for the full manifesto regarding their final show/epic breakup. That show took place in a basement, with the aim of breaking down the barrier between musician and listener, star and fan. The police showed up four songs in. The band didn't stop playing until their instruments were unplugged from the wall. ("Art.. As a REAL threat" -Protest Song '68)

If you haven't heard this album yet, you've got homework. Your ears will never bleed so good. For those of you who have, you're undoubtedly as excited as I am about this re-release. I was truly beginning to wonder if we'd see anything else Refused ever again. Maybe there is a god after all, and he's a fuckin' punk rocker.

"On which frequency will liberation be?"

4 other things people said:

L.M. said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_giQfcJwW0

wose said...

Haha, yeah, I don't know how I clicked over to that, but that's how I found out.
Check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqVL3FeIvno for an absolutely intense improvised intro-jam to The Deadly Rhythm. Melted my face clean off.

Jena said...

Coming from someone that fills her ears with the likes of The Loved ones, Jack Johnson, Chuck Regan and Band of Horses, this is not really my cup of tea, BUT your writing persuaded me enough to check it out, and while I still stand by the "not my cup of tea" feeling on this band, I have to say, I can see what you are saying about them, and respect your mini review!

wose said...

You know Jena, considering the musicians you just rhymed off, I'm actually surprised you even went to the trouble of checking it out. And I TOTALLY get that it is NOT everybody's cup of tea.. So kudos for your open-mindedness!

Post a Comment